Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Necrotic Ooze Combo Standard Update 10/25/11

So after much testing, I have slowly refined my list for the Necrotic Ooze Combo.  For those who didn't see my original post, check it out here.  The first major update was the dropping of white due to the fact that the mana base was a major stumbling point in the deck.  If you stumbled on mana for a few turns to be able to Day of Judgment, most of the time there was no coming back from it.  When the mana was perfect, you played the spells every turn you wanted too and often won on turn 5-6.  After drooping the white I found that casting a Necrotic Ooze on turn 4-5 was cake and often enough my turn 1-3 removal and counters often set me up for a win. 

My updates are as follows:

2x Grimgrin, Corpse-Born
2x Bloodline Keeper
1x Trespassing Souleater
4x Mindshrieker
1x Molten-Tail Masticore
1x Geth, Lord of the Vault
1x Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon

4x Mana Leak
3x Doom Blade
1x Dismember
2x Dissipate
2x Wring Flesh
2x Black Sun's Zenith

3x Jace, Memory Adept

8x Island
6x Swamp

4x Drowned Catacomb
4x Darkslick Shores
2x Nephalia Drownyard

Overall right now I fee that the deck is almost near perfection, or as perfect as this deck gets.  I've seen on many of the forums that people are leaning towards full combo rather then a combo/control strategy and I have to say based on my testing with the meta, that is just a bad choice.  The fact that this combo is a turn 5 at minimum combo, you need controlling style cards to maintain a game state to set up your win.  If there was a way to win turn 3, then I would be all for it, but there is no possible way to win on turn 3 with this combo. 

A few things I am looking at possibly changing:
Dropping Jace, Memory Adept to 2.  More often then not, I am pulling an extra Jace in the first few turns that I didn't want to see.  Luckily with Civilized Scholar we have means of pitching him and replacing with a more relevant card.
Upping Black Sun's Zenith to 3.  This card by itself can destroy almost any aggressive plan, but is a completely dead draw against any control deck out there.  If the meta keeps leaning towards agro, I will be updating this to 3.
Mindshrieker to 0.  This card is so amazing and many people do not give it the respect it deserves.  Many times it prevents people from attacking in with their Titans or other fatties due to the fact that more often then not, if I have open mana, it becomes HUGE.  Also, since it is blue, there are no relevant pro-blue guys that just walk past him.  So yes, equip that Mirran Crusader with a Sword of War and Peace as I will pump my guy and block all day.  On the other hand, people have started to use cards like Wring Flesh, which happens to be a 1 mana removal that trades 1 for 1.

1 comment:

  1. I just couldn't leave your website before telling you that I truly enjoyed the top quality info you present to your visitors? Will be back again frequently to check up on new posts.
    mtg

    ReplyDelete